Category: Act! Tips
Written by Ken Quigley
January 05 2021
If you’re running a version of Act! that you purchased a few years ago (or more!), chances are your version has been retired. This means you’re no longer receiving key updates that help ensure your Act! database remains secure and accessible. As we enter the 2021, now is the perfect time to upgrade to an Act! subscription. With an Act! subscription, you’ll have access to all updates and upgrades as they’re released, so you know you’re always running supported software.
But what happens if you choose not to upgrade?
The fact is, sticking with old, outdated software solutions of any kind can introduce unnecessary risks to your business — and who needs more uncertainty these days? We want to make sure customers understand the downside of relying on outdated software, which can include these top 6 risks:
- Lack of compatibility with current business platforms. Chances are, you use a number of apps and services, like G Suite, Microsoft Office 365, and more. The last thing you need when you log into your accounts are compatibility issues, which can result in frustrating technology issues and worse, costly delays in accessing your customer data and business apps. When you subscribe to Act!, you always have access to the latest version of Act!, ensuring that your solution remains compatible with popular business applications and platforms including Windows®, Outlook®, Google™, and more.
- No access to critical software updates and fixes: With an Act! subscription, you always receive updates and fixes as they’re released, providing you with peace of mind that your software will continue to run without issues. This way, you can stay focused on running your business. Software should work hard for you, not the other way around.
- No support for team growth: Those who own perpetual licenses of past Act! products cannot purchase additional seats for their team, because unsupported versions are no longer available for sale. You can learn more about the Act! Obsolescence Policy HERE, but the gist is once an Act! version becomes unsupported, or falls outside of the Obsolescence Policy, it is no longer available for purchase - at any price.
For context, Act! v20 officially became obsolete at the end of November 2020, but ceased to be available for purchase at the end of September, meaning if you needed an extra Act! v20 seat for your team, it was not available. Imagine using a CRM to grow your business, only to discover that due to poor purchase decisions, you could not actually grow your team?
- Risk of security vulnerabilities: Hackers are more frequently going after what they consider “low-hanging fruit,” i.e., smaller businesses that typically lack robust data security. They know smaller companies are easier to break into because they often leave wide security gaps due to outdated software or other vulnerabilities. With an Act! subscription, you can rest assured that security patches are continually and automatically provided, so you know that your customer data and business apps are secure.
- Loss of access to critical customer and sales data: Data is the lifeblood of any business, and there’s never a “good” time to lose access to your customer data or sales information. And yet, outdated software can create incompatibility or security issues that leave you scrambling to reboot access to your data. An Act! subscription helps ensure business continuity by maintaining compatibility with all of your other business apps and services — which is one less thing you have to worry about.
- Loss of current business tools from the WebAPI: One of the strongest tools for accessing your data and integrating it with other services is the Act! WebAPI. With the Act! WebAPI you can use reporting features like Act! Insights, or access your data remotely with Handheld Contact API, engage with your customers better using our Linktivity products, or even integrate with popular social media, sales & marketing, ecommerce, and back office services like Shopify, Facebook, Quickbooks Online, Eventbrite, and others. Read more on how the WebAPI can improve your business HERE.