If you are planning on upgrading to Act! v21, we suggest that you read the following list of tips to ensure a pain-free conversion.
- Do you have your v21 licence? Ensure that you have your v21 license key before you upgrade. If you are a current Act! Subscriber, or purchased Act! Pro v21 after 1st November, you may have already received your licence from Swiftpage.
- Check compatibility Upgrading any software can cause system conflicts due to compatibility issues so we suggest checking that your hardware meets the minimum Act! system requirements. Additionally, you should confirm that your other office software and AddOns that you use with Act! will be compatible. For example, Act! v20.0 supports Office 2010, but v20.1 and newer does not. Also, if you are on an earlier version of Act! which used an older version of Microsoft SQL, this SQL version will need to be uninstalled so that v21 installs the required Microsoft SQL 2014. Spending a bit of time checking requirements prior to installing any software can avoid unnecessary expense for your business, save you time in the long run…and a few headaches.
- Will my customizations convert to v21? Yes, any database, report, template, layout customisations will come across with v21, provided you're upgrading from a Act! 2008 or newer (older versions make work, as well, but require template and layout tweaking to work as before).
If you have any custom programming created for your current version we suggest checking with your provider in case additional updates are required.
- Backup, backup, backup! We strongly advise that you have at least one reliable backup of all your data prior to upgrading your database. There is nothing worse that realising that something has gone wrong and you don’t have a backup. See How to back up and restore an Act! database.
- How much time does it take to upgrade to v21? The time required to upgrade Act! depends on such factors as the number of users, locations and deployment methods. It can take anywhere from 15 minutes for a single user to a few days for larger, more complicated sites. Ensure that you plan the time/day for the upgrade to allow for any unforeseen complications and to avoid your staff sitting around unable to access to their data.
You can download Act! Software from our web sites.
Please ensure you download the correct version (Pro or Premium/Premium Web) for your location, please click HERE.