Act! Database Hosting Services
Unleash the power of the Cloud with Act! Hosting
You want to deploy Act! for your team, but can't budget for a new network, hardware, licensing, or staff to support it? Let us be your Act! network & Act! support team with fast, secure, and easy database Act! hosting from Keystroke - an exclusive Swiftpage "Diamond Business Partner" and #1 Act! Reseller in North America.
Keystroke employs a mix of current model servers, all of which we own and manage. All our servers use minimum RAID5 drives for fault tolerance, are backed up nightly, and located at a Tier 3 Data Centre within 5-minutes of our head office in Toronto. Our secure Data Centre features multiple levels of security and three 5000 gallon diesel generators to provide weeks worth of uninterruptable power and Internet. What's more, all our servers are monitored 24-hours a day, so that if a single required service fails, we're notified instantly and can fix it before anyone notices.
|Fast Facts about Keystroke ACT Hosting|
Why would I pay someone to host my database, when I can do it myself?
This is not always an easy question to answer because the customer has to understand the limitations of their existing network, as well as appreciate the speed, reliability, access, and flexibility a hosted solution provides. Having said that, these are the reasons most people opt for a hosted solution:
- Provides offsite storage and security as the database is maintained and backed up daily on our servers, all of which have RAID5 fault tolerance
- Security: All your databases are stored on a secure, offline server that cannot be hacked from the Internet. The only access to the database servers are with a 256bit encrypted remote access service we subscribe to, and not sniffable ports of any kind.
- Costs: With Keystroke ACT Hosting, deployments are often cheaper and safer as we're not dealing with other IT staff, policies, router, and IP issues. We also don't have to worry about sharing resources with existing customer network services like Exchange or Sharepoint. Customers are also not faced with the need to purchase additional server hardware, licensing, and IT costs.
- Response time: If something goes wrong, we have five full-time ACC's within minutes of the data centre who know how to fix it fast, and five more available remotely.
- User databases are a snap to deploy. If a new or existing user requires a new subscriber database, we can have one cut and ready for delivery with our unique file delivery service within minutes or hours, regardless of size. And this service is provided at no additional cost.
- Access it anywhere. Regardless of where you are or what computer you're using, if you have Internet access you have database access.
- ACT! Premium Mobile, released in April 2012, provides live PDA and Tablet access to ACT! subscribers, and we publish this at no additional charge.
- Handheld Contact users can have us host their database syncing, at no additional charge.
- You can setup temporary or remote users immediately with ACT! for Web. No need to install software or deploy a database, all they'll have to do is simply login into the secure Act for Web database, and start working immediately.
- Upgrades are easier and cheaper because the master database is upgraded free of charge as part of your subscription. You can even have your business run off the Act for Web database while you upgrade your individual user databases.
- If you need database customization, we can do it for you without ever having to access your computer. This is a billable service, but for customers looking to have changes made fast and properly, it's worth paying for. All they have to do is synch to get the schema changes.
- Network users can continue to access a centralized database, but have it sync with our servers for safety, access, security, flexibility, speed, and remote access they would not otherwise have. They'd still enjoy the speed of a centralized network database, just with all the other perks, as well.
- Avoid costly and ongoing server upgrades and maintenance. They're our servers and we have to maintain and upgrade them as part of our job. Not only is this done at our cost, but we've been network technicians since the early 1990's, so we know what we're doing.
- Faster & better. We're a hosting company, so syncing and web publishing is faster and more reliable through our data centre's 100% optical network.
Versions of ACT! currently supported by Keystroke for database hosting
|ACT! Premium 2013
|ACT! Premium v16
For synchronization & Web
|ACT! Premium v17
For synchronization & Web
|ACT Premium v18
For synchronization & Web
|Keystroke ACT! version support complies with the Act! obsolescence policy. As such we cannot host software more than one year past that version's obsolescence date due to compatability issues and license availability.|
So what am I giving up by using a subscriber or web based database versus using the main host database?
The following is breakdown of the differences between the main "host" database, "web" database, and a remote "subscriber" database for ACT! Premium 2013 or later. These distinctions will help users determine the deployment strategy most suitable for their team.
The "Host" database resides on your server, and can only be accessed directly with the ACT windows client by Keystroke authorized personnel. The "Web" database is the thin client means to access the host database with a browser, tablet, or smartphone. A "Remote" database, often called a "subscriber" database, is created from the host database and is designed to be deployed locally on customers computers for use with the ACT windows software. These databases synchronize with the host database to send and receive update, but have certain limitations to the changes you can make to them - as illustrated in the chart below.
|Add, edit, or delete database fields||Yes||Yes*||No|
|Add, delete, enable, or disable users||Yes||Yes**||No|
|Create and manage custom activity types and priorities||Yes||No||No|
|Create and manage sales processes and stages||Yes||No||No|
|Create and re-create remote databases||Yes||No||No|
|Define a password policy||Yes||Yes||No|
|Install remote databases||No||No||Yes|
|Set a synchronization schedule||No||No||Yes|
|Set up automated synchronization using ACT! Scheduler||No||No||Yes|
|Unpack and restore remote databases||No||No||Yes|
* ACT v16+ Only, ** ACT 2012 or higher
** What Act! Premium v17 features are not available in Act! Premium for Web?
- Lean more about User roles and security HERE
|FREE ACT FOR WEB TRAINING RESOURCES;
|FREE ACT TRAINING RESOURCES:
THE FINE PRINT
- Keystroke's Act! Hosting customers can update & manage their databases using a subscriber copy of their database, and then synchronize those changes to the host database. Certain changes can be made with a remote database, some changes cannot. For example, changes to the database schema, process list, and the user list (to name a few) are not available to the remote databases, and must therefore be made on the host databases by Keystroke Act! Certified staff. Such customization or maintenance services are billable.
As of September 2013, Act! v16 provides the ability to edit the schema of a hosted master database via the web.
- Keystroke ACT Hosted Terms and Conditions
- Act! Premium (access via web) leverages the features and functions of Act! Premium. In other words, all features in the core Windows Premium product are available in the Web product. However, some functions are limited to the server, such as administration of users, database maintenance, template and layout creation or editing and other administration functions.
- In addition to inheriting all of the new features of the core product, stability and performance have been improved in this release
- Database Hosting fees include the hosting, publishing (when applicable), maintaining, and the backup of the master database. Additionally, Keystroke shall cut subscriber copies of the master database (also known as RDB's) for the customer, and make those available for download via our FTP site. Services related to the installation of the Act! software and/or the depoyment/configuration of RDB's on customer workstations or servers is NOT included, and should be considered billable by Keystroke.
- Act! hosting subscribers with current versions of the Act! software must maintain a valid Business Care susbcription.
- Keystroke only supports non-obsolete versions of Act! for hosting purposes.
- Each Act! user requires a valid, current Act! license. Hosting customers that do not wish to upgrade to the current version of ACT, are welcome to stay subscribed with their legacy version, subject to ACT's obsolescence policy. Due to licensing and support restrictions, Keystroke cannot host "unsupported" versions of ACT. Please refer to the bottom of this page for details on SwiftPage's Obsolescence policy.
- Upfront Customization and ongoing changes are billable at our hourly ACC rates, and in increments of 15 minutes after the initial 30-minute minimum.
- All annual hosting fees are due in advance. Short term hosting contracts can be arranged in advance, but at the next higher hosting rate.
- Keystroke Quality Computing Inc. is not responsible and/or liable for database damage this hosting service may cause, or for loss of data as a result of using this service. While Keystroke Quality Computing Inc undertakes to backup and maintain customer databases, it is the customers responsibility to backup and maintain their own data. Keystroke Quality Computing Inc. is not responsible for any costs relating to any interruption in hosting service.
- To avoid fraud and minimize license management, all Act! licensing must be purchased through Keystroke Quality Computing Inc. Keystroke is a Diamond Level ACT! VAR, whose prices are always competitive. Keystroke recommends Act! Business Care (now Act! Subscription) as the most cost effective way of upgrading your software each year, and availing yourself of many program perks like free video training, support (Silver and Gold only), and Act! Premium Mobile
- Hosting fees are calculated monthly, but billed annually in advance. If a hosting customer wishes to opt out of the program during the upgrade period, a backup copy of their database will be provided to them at no extra cost. Under no circumstances are mid-term refunds provided.
- A $100 SETUP FEE applies for uploading your database, publishing, or cutting the required number of RDB file(s), and making them available for download on our FTP site.
Support & Upgrade Pricing Obsolescence Policy
Swiftpage's Upgrade Pricing Obsolescence Policy is to honor upgrade pricing for customers with the current release and, in most cases, two prior releases of a product. If you're using a version of Act! older than that, you’re not eligible for upgrade pricing and will instead need to purchase Act! at new pricing. SwiftPage does not sell licensing for unspoorted legacy ACT! products.
Like the upgrade pricing policy, SwiftPage will only provide technical support to to current releases of ACT product, and, in most cases, two prior releases of a product. ACT! customers with an active Business Care support plan that are using an obsolete product will receive support through the expiration of the existing support plan. You're not able to renew your support contract unless you upgrade to a supported version of Act!. If you upgrade prior to the expiration of your support plan, your plan will be transferred to the new product and remain valid until the plan expires.
ACT! Licensing Costs:
ACT! Premium Subscription
- ACT! Premium and Premium Subscription (pricing may be reduced based on quantity)
- As Swiftpage continually offers seasonal promotions, please check our shopping cart for current promotional pricing.
- Quantity Discounts available.